Thursday 25 August 2011

LMS Compound conversion

A couple of years ago I picked up an elderly Hornby MR Compound in BR Black livery when helping my Dad out with running the LWMRS Second Hand Stall.  I had intentions of doing things with it - including fitting a properly proportioned tender and fixing various details to make it more passable with more modern offerings.



About 3 months ago I ended up bidding on a Crownline detailing kit on eBay to 'detail' it to a LMS version with the longer front frames etc and when the pack arrived got started.

The kit is not what I would call the best fitting but does improve the look somewhat and it now looks far less 'plasticy' than the original offering. 



After various bits of fiddling (especially around etch that fits down to make the brake gear) and swapping the tender for a surplus Fowler Airfix tender-drive model it's nearly finished.  I've done the first stage of painting today (and lining on the tender) but still have the number to change and then weathering to be done - still quite a bit of touching up to be done and 'blending' in with the orignal finish.



I'm pleasantly surprised how well it runs and doesn't (so far) seem to suffer from the problem of my Airfix 4Fs with slowly turning/sticking driving wheels being pushed along by a jumpy tender drive...

Sat with the still to be completed water carrier/sludge tender


No comments:

Post a Comment