Wednesday 18 January 2012

A much needed update 1

In some ways it feels like ages since my last update in October but in other ways it doesn't.  A new job meaning working away in Barnsley & Sheffield four days a week and until very recently having no internet access while away has meant that the Blog has taken a very back seat.

In the limited time I have at home I have been doing lots of little things to Abthorpe but as with most things lots of little things don't show up much!

One project I picked up at a collectors fair at the Lincoln Showground was a Lima Clas 40 in BR Green as Atlantic Conveyor.  After seeing a photo of a 40 at Lincoln and at Cleethorpes (the same style with disc style headcodes) tempted me to try to improve it a bit.  I was amazed how well it ran considering the bad press a lot of Lima mechanisms get. I have a quite a few old Lima models and on the whole (apart form a couple which are always a little sluggish to start with) they perform well if a little noisily.
As Lima made it - not mine but didn't take a photo before I started!

The 40 was rubbed back to remove the printed numbers and name (the bodyshell is in a yellow plastic) then primed. I then had another go with Dad's old airbrush and some Railmatch enamel BR Green.  The overall affect is quite good - the roof colour is a Phoenix Precision diesel roof grey but to me seems rather brown but too late....

I've picked out various bits on the bogie sideframes, fitted pipework to the front and removed the hideous Lima couplings replacing them with Bachmann style narrow tension lock using the same hole and mounting point.  I've got to track down some new diesel number transfers as the one I have doesn't have enough 'D's of the right size left!

Finished photos to follow soon when I find where I've saved them!

No comments:

Post a Comment